The Johnson Service Group can trace its origins back to 1780, but it was in the mid nineteenth century when the industrial revolution was at its height that a group of likeminded textile-related businesses founded an alliance. From here the Johnson Service Group was officially formed in 1920, with the amalgamation of three leading dry cleaning companies.
The Group grew rapidly, both organically and through acquisitions of old-established leaders in the trade. Through the development of a relationship with Apparelmaster Inc. in the USA, the Group agreed to adopt their workwear service and run it here in the UK under licence. With the business growing rapidly, Apparelmaster rocketed from zero to fourth largest in the UK in just 14 years.
In 1974 Apparelmaster Ltd commenced trading from its historic base of Bootle in Liverpool, where it had been for 33 years until early 2007 when the head office was relocated to a state of the art facility in Fulwood, Preston.
Commanding an ever growing market share, Johnsons Apparelmaster is now the UK's number one workwear rental and workplace services provider. In 2015 Apparelmaster opened a plant in Leeds at Riverside Place, Bridgewater Road. The largest of its kind in the UK, Leeds plant cost £8.5million and hosts state of the art equipment in 58,000 sq. ft. of Production space.